Monday, June 30, 2008
Career Shadowing ♥ 1:18 PM
Today, I, and four other people, went to the Roskens Building to find more information about business administration. I was interested in learning more about business management and the requirements for the college of business at UNO. I learned about the core course requirements such as: English Composition I and II, College Algebra, Public Speaking, Economics (Micro and Macro), and Accounting I and II. These classes are required in order to recieve a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Degree.
I also found out about the distribution requirements, which are: Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities. What really surprised me, was the huge list of business specializations. There were specializations that I was unaware of such as accounting, banking, finance, business finance/economics, economics, investment science and portfolio management, marketing, and real estate and land use.
I also discovered all the companies that work with the college of business administration. Some major companies include Alegent Health, Ameritrade Holding Corporation, Cargill, Inc., Cox Communications, First National Bank of Omaha, Hewlett Packard Company, Mutual of Omaha, Oriental Trading Company, OPPD, Union Pacific Railroad, and Wells Fargo. It is amazing how much opportunity there is with business. The job shadowing was beneficial to my knowledge and awareness of business. I also learned that "minors" are referred to as "secondary specializations". Secondary specializations include marketing, international business, business finance, accounting, economics, real estate, and management.
Overall, I felt that the presentation that was given was thoroughly helpful in my pursuits in the field of business. I was told of the scholarship opportunities, deadlines, and specifications such as GPA (which is a 2.5 minimum), scores, and metro credit. I thought it was pretty helpful in understanding what I need to do to prepare myself for college. I feel that I'm going to be prepared for college as long as I manage all the dates that are important.
Posted.