london
<xmp> <body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/89573210042035491?origin\x3dhttp://jessiesummerscholars.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> </xmp>
♥ Welcome

Name: Jessie


♥ About

I like arts, music, movies, food, travel, learning random things


♥ Ambitions

As of now, I want to do well in school, go to college or something


♥ Favorites

MUSE, RHCP, SUBLIME, Beatles, Fight Club, V for Vendetta, Foreign Movies, The Office, Simpsons, Scrubs, etc.


♥ Random

I'm a caffeine fiend.


♥ Past

June 2008
July 2008


♥ Layout

Layout from Createblog

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Personal Statement ♥ 11:10 AM


What are your achievements?


"Achievement" strikes fear in the students who don't have dragging lists of academics, athletics, community involvement, and other filler activities. To me, fulfilling a goal to its highest potential is a true achievement that's personal and not easily attained. While I could say that I'm the vice president of my National Honor Society, a candidate for Student Council vice president, or a dedicated hospital volunteer since freshman year, it doesn't signify that I've achieved anything besides a title. The one thing I've been genuinely devoted to is sponsoring. During the beginning of freshman year, I read an article about children who are confined to working and field labor because they cannot afford to attend school and receive an education. It was upsetting enough to compel me to effect some kind of change, even if the role is small. With the help of my parents, I found an agency that was designated for sponsoring. I chose a Mongolian girl, about my age, who had a sick father, and many siblings. I started to connect with her through letters in Chinese (since we both understood Chinese) and I developed a strong relationship with her. She is so inspiring because, despite her hardships, she is so happy, content and optimistic that it gives me extreme guilt to reflect on how unreasonably angry I get towards something as minute as a paper cut. I personally pay for her tuition, meaning my parents are not involved in my sponsorship. My paycheck goes to her funding. And honestly, I have no doubts nor do I waver at the thought of giving someone my work money, of giving someone the opportunity to better herself.

What issues matter to you?


As an Asian, and a minority, I've always been aware of the issues surrounding my cultural background. Whether it's racism, stereotypes, or politics, I'm always concerned because those issues pertain to my identity and the makeup of who I am. Currently, the issue that has my attention is the violence in Tibet and the supposed "oppressive" Chinese government. While I won't elaborate on the issue, I would like to say that the American people are not being provided with both sides of the issue (or a fair report of the conflict), only the slandered view of CNN. I hope that the general population will use their own discretion without being influenced by the American media because the topic should be thoroughly understood before making a rash conclusion. I prefer unbiased views because when the wrong idea is conveyed, then the one-sided stereotypes, the prejudiced sentiment based on false assumptions take hold, grounding the beliefs of Americans, interrupting the so-called tolerance that America is supposed to have. This is why issues involving my "race" have an imperative role in my life; they affect the portrayal of my culture and of me.

Who has been an influence on you?

Growing up, I spend the vast majority of my time around my parents. They raised me. It's only logical that they've had the most influence on me. However, while my parents have had the most direct impact on me, every single person I've encountered has had some kind of significance on my perspective. Even the absolutely repulsive librarian I've always resented (and pretty much everyone else) throughout high school has given me insight: don't be like her, don't shift towards a sardonic attitude. Or when someone embarrasses me, that person teaches me the discomforting feeling of humiliation and I gain enough experience to know how to handle myself in another incident. When a teacher is willing to assist me in improving a score, I discover that there are people who have good intentions and it inspires me to want to help others as well. Regardless of the positive or negative instances I go through, I will always be shaped by the people who I've been fortunate enough to acquaint with.

Why do you want to attend our college?

I want to attend the Peter Kiewit Institute. I've always had a strong interest in engineering because I enjoy applying math and science to real problems and solutions. I would love a future with PKI. I also believe that PKI provides a wonderful opportunity for a rewarding career. With all the stress of considering colleges, PKI has shown the most practicality and advantage. It has a close location, a fantastic scholarship, a fairly diverse campus, and is a renowned institution in Nebraska. Most of all, my sincere interest in engineering would be benefited by a respected program geared specifically towards engineering. I want to allow my interest to advance into further studies or even a career. The Peter Kiewit Institute would strengthen those possibilities.


Posted.